Thursday, December 3, 2015

Slightly Changed Perspective

While first being introduced to trolling and anonymity in class, those two topics gave me a full-on negative connotation because of the content we read. We would read articles on the experiences of others whom dealt with trolling and it made me angry due to how cruel human beings could be. When I would think of trolls I would think of lack of empathy, lack of censorship, lack of hope in the decency of mankind, crossing lines, cold hearts, etc. Now, as we have read more articles (NY Times articles) coming from people with different perspective on these topics, I have gained a new perspective myself. This topic is broad and can go in so many different directions, in which it has because so many aspects factor into what the internet contains, the people who contribute, and the people who read what’s contributed. As far as trolling, I feel in different subjects it could be necessary to fuel debate and ideas. Although, there is a fine line between rightfully expressing your opinion and bluntly being rude and attacking someone else’s opinions. As far as anonymity, I think it’s more useful than harmful.  When it comes to cyber harassment, anonymity is innocuous because a person is more prone to making unnecessary remarks or bullying when they know their face can’t be put next to their commentary. I think it’s more useful in the aspect of protecting privacy. Widespread, what victims of sensitive issues can’t speak about in person, they’re able to express anonymously online and that makes anonymity extremely beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment