Thursday, December 10, 2015

I started off this unit with my focus completely on trolling and with disregard to harassment. In regards to cyberbullying, I thought that people were just too sensitive and either had to toughen up, move along, or remove themselves from technology (in essence, society). Then I read the "Room for Debate: The War Against Online Trolls" and learned more about the state of anonymity and its critical ties with websites. I changed my perspective and thought it was vital for website developers and third party sites to provide a sort of database that contained a certain level of personal information or service that would enable law enforcement to track down harassment, defamation, and death threats. I believed for the longest time (five days) that this was the only logical way to address problems with anonymity.

Reading so many articles with differing viewpoints was overwhelming to say the least. I felt like I had the gist of what I believed in, but my beliefs didn't last long enough for me to formally organize and build upon them. Then I jumped on my daily Skype video call with Visoth and Kumpol and once again changed my mind. However, this time it was for good. I went full circle and ended up where I started: GET OVER IT. Privacy, anyone? Overreaching government, anyone? HUMAN NATURE, anyone? Anonymity on the internet, the little that we have, is one of the only forms of privacy and freedom that we have left in this country. Let's not let it go to waste because of our sensitivity. Also, let's direct our focus and blame from anonymity to the culture of ignorance, discrimination, and prejudice.

Now all I have to do is make my beliefs sound less rude and back them up with facts, logical thinking, and research. I thought it would be difficult at first, but now that I know where I stand and have confidence in my beliefs, I am excited to develop my thoughts and present them in a proper format.

P.S. This assignment will not only help me develop my writing skills but my voice and tone as well. I need major improvement in these areas . . . I don't want to turn people away just because I have an unintentional condescending tone.

Patricia Cuarenta

4 comments:

  1. I have the same thoughts on you about how people should just get over it. Like you said we shouldn't let anonymity go to waste just because we got hurt over what some person, who we don't even know, said. If we take anonymity away for the bad, we won't get any good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's most definitely true Noelle. I've also noted that little blame has been placed on the "victims". That sounds wrong ... but they wouldn't have become victims if they didn't let the negative energy get to them in the first place. As a sensitive person I understand how vulnerable hearts can be. But this is more about logic rather than emotion. Emotion seems to cloud a lot of logical thinking.

      Delete
  2. So if you don't want that overreaching government and what not, how would you go against harassers and potentials threats to people online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem ... it'd be hard to. Actually, if the government or a group of hackers are dedicated and determined to find certain information, they will. I just believe that we shouldn't facilitate that process for them. I think it's best if we just stay as it is right now. If it was something serious, they'd find a way.

      Delete