Friday, December 11, 2015

A Reflection

      When we first started this unit, I have never given much thought to cyber bullying or anonymity. My first impression of anonymity was that it was an unnecessary tool that only helped those who seek to bash innocent civilians cover their tracks. After reading the first few articles, I saw it as something that helped companies that control social media earn more revenues. My view of the topic kept changing, twisting after I read each article. Finally, I am able to conclude my thought on this matter.
      While anonymity may be a detriment to the society (Yes, I did mentioned this in my last blog), it is also beneficial to the society. Most uprisings, revolutions, and movements, all started with an anonymous voice. That is because anonymity gives them strength and confidence boost. It allows people to see more clearly of the words that are being spread across. In other words, it allows the listeners to judge the statement based on its rationality rather than the status of the person who makes the statement.
     However, I still have some doubts because anonymity should not be taken lightly. A part of me thinks that anonymity can also cause a serious problem as it helps people, or should I say encourage trolls to bully and harass other people even more because they know that they'll be safe from punishment. And trolling can lead to serious problems that I have already mentioned on the above (suicide, mental problems).
      As I am typing this blog, my opinion on the subject has started to sway again. I can't seem to find a solid position that I can stand on. For some reason, I feel like I don't have enough information and data on this topic (even though, we have read at least ten articles relating to trolling, and anonymity). Maybe after looking more throughly into this matter, I will be able to, or at least hope to find my true voice in this matter.
      How about all of you, guys? Any thoughts on the essay?

No comments:

Post a Comment