Monday, October 19, 2015

Make The Most Out Of Life, Hellish As It May Be

What is life? A question asked by many people, and sometimes even by those who have found a purpose in life. Well, the answer vary from one person to another. To me, I like to compare life to the ocean waves that brushes, and at the same time, smashes its body against the glistening shores as they dance along the breezing wind. The way I see it, problems, errors, and mistakes will never cease to exist in life. Each wave comes after another. Just when we think we are finished dealing with one, another appears. However, after each wave smashes against the shores, they become smoother, firmer, and in a sense, stronger. Each problem, or mistake we've ever made or encountered paves our road smoother. While problems and mistakes can have negative impact on our lives, we won't know for sure until we try. It is the same as how I come to discover this analogy. I was at a beach party. Everyone was having fun with their friends. A loner I am, I decided to sit alone and stare at the never ending ocean while contemplating over my life and brooding over my tedious existence instead of joining the others. Only if I were to join in and try to make the best out of it, I could have made some friends, had a great time, and perhaps learn something valuable, or I would have come to taste what could be the most embarrassing experience that could traumatise me for the rest of my life. But now I wouldn't know because I decided not to join, and I will die regretting this moment and cussing at myself for not trying.

In order to live, you need to learn how to take chances. Life is filled with possibilities and life itself is a possibility. There could have been a possibility that your mother could not have conceived you. There is a possibility that you may get into an accident right when you step out of the school ground. There is a possibility that you will fall off the stage during your graduation ceremony, and die of either a broken neck or embarrassment. You know every action you take has a possibility that can lead you to your failure, or death, yet you still take it. Why? Why do you still do it? That is because you want it, and you are determined to accomplish it. So, why stop now? I implore you, my fellow seniors, to continue living a life filled with wonders, mistakes, failures and excitement rather than living one that is filled with regrets.

2 comments:

  1. When people ask me what made me who I am today, I usually tell them about my accomplishments and the obstacles I overcame. However, I always tell them about the mistakes that I made in the past as well because I think the mistakes that I made in the past shaped me into who I am today. Without those mistakes, I probably wouldn't have to personality that I have now. I totally agree with you that people should value their failure and understand that mistake is not always a bad thing. My parents always encouraged me to take a safe path in life because they do not want to see me fail. While I appreciate their concern, I do not want my life to be a tasteless experience. I want to make a mistakes that will allow me to learn from it. I want to have an experience that would tear me apart because that would simply allow me to feel something I've never felt before. While mistakes and failures are important keys that allow you to experience something new, I believe that no one should make the same mistakes twice. I believe in the second chance but I don't believe in the third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I have no one to thank, but my parents. They were the one who taught me this principle. They often tell me that if I don't fall down, I will never learn how to pick myself back up. They usually encourage me to try something new, and I always ask them what if I fail. Their answer is always "then at least you have tried", or "now you know you suck at it", or "so learn from your mistakes". While we are shameful of our failures, and mistakes, they are actually free life lessons in disguise. They are like nuts in a way; their shells make it hard to devour, but once you crack the shells, you'll see how much softer, and more enjoyable the kernel is. Although the one point I disagree with you is that no one shall ever get a third chance, but I believe otherwise. Nothing in life is truly absolute. Life is a lot more complex than a math formula that can be determined through simple addition, and subtraction

      Delete