Tuesday, March 15, 2016

What's The Cost?

After watching Food Inc., I started to think a lot about the regulations that are and should be set on the food industry. The death of the two year old Kevin really sparked my curiosity in this matter and after e. coli killing an innocent child, I could not help but wonder why couldn't it have been prevented.
For my research paper I have been looking into the responsibilities of each step of the process, searching for whose fault a bacteria outbreak may be. Most of the responsibility seemed to belong to an organization called the FSIS, the Food Safety and Inspection Service. The FSIS is in charge of inspecting food and ensuring that the food is clean and safe, along with correct labeling. This kind of answered my question but as I began to research more, I began to research ways on how the food industry can improve in ensuring the safety of our food.
There are many suggestions to somewhat fixing the food industry but not many have been implemented and most are still just suggestions instead of actions. This also made me wonder what the costs are since it seems so difficult and the food industry seems to resist. Does it take a huge load of money? Who would the money be taken from? Who would be involved in ensuring these practices are executed? These questions are not part of my research, just some thoughts that came to my mind while researching.

No comments:

Post a Comment