Monday, March 14, 2016

A Shift to Organic?

Something that interests me is the fact that how people ate in the past was different compared to how people eat right now. In the past, concerns about the practices of the food industry rose which is why Theodore Roosevelt created agencies and regulations to protect the consumers. Now, these regulations on food industries are not being enforced. What I found in my research is that a shift toward organically produced food would not be a bad idea considering the health benefits compared to how our conventional system affects health. What I want to know is whether the organic system can actually sustain and satisfy the needs of the American public. I have found that, given time, organic farms may increase in their yields and thrive. However, will the public be drawn to organic food or still be stuck on industrialized food products? They would have to change their eating habits and make healthier selections. I know for me that I am not too worried about nutrition and diet even though I am more aware of what I could be eating. Is it possible to return to how our ancestors used to eat?

2 comments:

  1. I think that it is possible to return to how our ancestors use to eat, but we would have to inform people about how bad our food system really is now. It will take a lot of convincing for people to break away from their normal eating habits, but if someone is willing to spread the word then yes, its possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Noelle, I think it is possible to return to a more enforced food industry. It is true that the food industry has become negligent with the food they provide us with but with more information provided to us, we can make changes to the food we put inside our bodies. Our eating habits won't change over night but with more awareness change is sure to come.

    ReplyDelete