Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Small farms pt.2

Since we began this unit, it has been clear that we have serious issues in our food industry due to the large corporations. It made me very curious that we have such clear problems but we as a country aren't doing anything about it.

At first, I was aware that the huge agribusinesses shouldn't be allowed to handle our food supply but was skeptical about there being any alternatives to them.  Whether or not you agree with their production means, the corporations are definitely able to dish out super high quantities at relatively low prices. With that being said, it didn't seem like there was a close second to corporations in terms of being able to feed the masses. This is where my question came from, which basically asks if organic, humane farms were capable of feeding at the level of the large corporations.  In my research, I have mostly found that the small, organic farms are able to feed the word collectively. Eastern Brazil and other South American countries already have systems where small farms network together to feed large populations. 

1 comment:

  1. To add on to this, in my research I found that 60 perect of the corn produced in the United States does not even go to human consumption. That 60 percent of it goes to feed the livestock that we consume. So I believe that if we found other food for the livestock such as large grasslands, we would be more than able to feed america without all the GMOs.

    ReplyDelete