Monday, March 14, 2016

Eating Habits After Hearing About E. Coli

For my research question I decided to talk about E. coli because I found interest in it while watching Food Inc. In the film, a mother lost her son due to E. coli poisoning and is now spending any time she has in trying to promote better health regulations in our food system. After watching this video it got me scared that I might actually eat meat that has E. coli in it.  But will I actually research where the meat comes from? No. Will I still eat the nice, juicy steak that my mom provides me on the dinner table? Definitely.
Our society often overlooks what we put into our body.  The farmers, manufacturers, processors, etc. are not the only ones to blame when it comes to our health.  We are victimizing ourselves for not knowing how our food is raised and processed. When we go to the grocery store we often just look for the meat that looks the meatiest so that we actually get our money's worth.  But what if the meatiest meat we get has the most E. coli in it? Would we know? No. Because we don’t care what we eat as long as it fills us up, as long as we are not hungry anymore.  The only way we would know if our food is infected with bacteria is if we researched where the company gets their meat from.  The thing about this research paper is that it probably isn’t going to change the way I eat.  So my question is, will your eating habits change after you’ve done all your research for this project?

3 comments:

  1. From doing this research paper on food politics, I am more aware of what I could possibly be eating and may reduce some unhealthy eating habits but not all. I am beginning not to like fast food often; it tastes good but I know that it is bad for my health. On the other hand, I can not get over the meat at the market like bacon and burger patties. I may watch my nutrition and diet more as I grow up and am more vulnerable to health risks but, as a young man,I do not concern myself with it even though I should. E coli is an interesting topic, I am curious on how the disease affects the body. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me really think about what I put in my body and especially after doing some research

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since we have started this unit, I've been really starting to pay more attention on what brand of meat I buy. For instance, I was at the Pavillions on South and Woodruff and I saw that they sold Smithfield bacon which is from Food Inc. It was so crazy because I didn't know that it was a well known company. I've also read articles on Foster Farms chicken that were not the great. And it worries me because that's the only chicken I buy. Food Inc. has really turned around my eating habits...ever since we've watched it, I have not eaten a single bite of beef and chicken might be next...

    ReplyDelete