Tuesday, April 5, 2016

This took me way longer to do than it should have

Alright, so I've kind of been a failure at the whole blogging thing thus far, so I'll try to make this one the best yet to hopefully make up for all my missing/failed blog posts. :)

Anyway,

I love animals. Dogs, cats, lizards, ostriches, you name it, I really like all species. But I am not by any means a vegan/vegetarian nor do I see myself becoming one in the near future, frankly I like meat too much to quit. That being said, recently I have grown to appreciate the cause of vegetarians and I'm even willing to defend them. Like when people say "Domesticated farm animals can't survive on their own, they would all die off if we stopped breeding them. Is that what vegans want???" Yes, is the short answer. Farm animals are abused, in every sense of the word. Overproduction, rise of new and potent diseases, crowed living spaces, and inadequate diets are just a few ways in which these animals are abused. So yes, if we all stopped killing them and they all slowly died out, that would be 1000x better than the abhorrent end to their life they receive now.

On that note here's a super interesting you tube video talking about what would happen if mankind went vegetarian: https://youtu.be/ANUoAdXfA60

So like I said before, I'm not vegetarian, and I'm not trying to convert everyone to veganism or anything, and actually this isn't even my research topic, I've just been browsing the internet about this recently. What I am trying to do is show that not all vegans/vegetarians are pretentious pricks like the media humorously portrays.



There is actually a purpose and a cause behind all their fuss about food. That being said, I don't think eliminating meat or all animal products from our diets is the most practical option. Americans and other first world countries definitely eat more meat than is recommend, which is one of the reasons we're so unhealthy. Eating less meat would make us more healthy and would reduce the amount of farm animals which means there would be less animals to abuse. But just like expecting the world to one day go vegan, it's still too much to ask for everyone to have healthier diets. Since it's too much to ask, the only thing you could do is force, with extra taxes and limiting corporations. But then the republicans start complaining about the taxes and how government shouldn't be involved in business. But the thing that might not be too much to ask, and in fact has been becoming increasingly popular, is the fair treatment of the animals. Killing cows and pigs isn't a problem for me, it's the abuse they face when they're alive. The abuse I mentioned before like overcrowding, and diseases, really a lot of that could be solved if they just have more land to roam, as in "free-roaming" farm animals. Free-roaming, grass eating cattle is becoming a popular thing. People like the idea of cows living a happy life while they can before they're put into your hamburger.



The last point/thing, I want to make is that yes animal abuse is real and something should be done about that, but humans are also important, some would say even more important. Some 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy active life. That's about one in nine people on earth. The vast majority of the world's hungry people live in developing countries. Right now, everyone combined, we make enough food to feed the whole world. But we don't. Personally I think solving world hunger is more important than making sure cows have enough elbow room. I only think that because if we did eliminate all farm animals or even reduced the amount, we would technically be taking more food away from those we could feed. Once, or if, we cure the world of hunger, then the next best issue is talking about ways to replace all or some of that meat with food that has enough protein and nutrients and that we can also make a lot of to keep feeding the whole world. And yeah beans would probably be that food.

Here's another you tube video that compares your privileged existence with people who don't have enough calories to walk in a circle: https://youtu.be/-9pNeT55U_c

Ultimately, the decision to act to end animal abuse or world hunger is completely up to you. There are a million factors to consider and so few things you can actually do. And yeah, first world problems might still be problems, but if we all decided to try and empathize with these people who have nothing, or these animals who are treated exactly like bags of meat, then just maybe our perception of the world and of our individual lives would change. Maybe we would actually do something about all these problems that (for now) don't affect us. Maybe we could make the world a better place, or dare I say, Make the World Great Again. :)

1 comment:

  1. Plus, Vegans get psychic powers.
    (Ovo-Lacto vegetarianism doesn't count)

    ReplyDelete