Sunday, April 3, 2016

Almost Done

The way I eat has not changed much since this unit has begun. I eat the same, but every time I pick up food I think of ERW. Every time I am with my friends and we eat meat products, someone has to say “ERW” or “GMOs” or something of that sort.  What we learned in this unit has not changed what I eat, but just brought up some more conversations between my friends and I.  We talk about the dangers of what can be in our food yet we do not do anything different about our lifestyles.  It is actually quite funny that we do that.  We know how corrupt and messy the food system and corporations are, however we do not seem to care enough to stop and think about what we are eating.

I mean I guess this politics of food unit made me more aware, but I don’t know. I am still eating what I usually eat.  Personally, I think if a food product were to affect the health of a close friend or relative of mine drastically, I would be extremely careful of what I eat and I would try to help change the system. The ethos part of this lesson hit me when the boy in Food Inc. died from E. coli, but it did not hit me hard enough for me to make a change in my diet. Overall, this was an interesting, but I am glad it’s coming to an end because the research paper was very time consuming.

6 comments:

  1. I found it sad that boy died from E. coli in his food. I literally almost stopped eating Jack-in-the-box, almost. You're right this was time-consuming and stressful

    ReplyDelete
  2. It kind of makes me a little sad that you haven't changed any eating habits but then again we're all different and are grown enough to choose what we eat. But i'm so with you on it being over because this research paper was so stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Noelle I am with you on that because I haven't changed my eating habits either. I did pick up a gym membership to pick up my slack of unchanged eating habits. I do have goals in the future to fix my habits but as of right now I have not taken any initiative to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Noelle I have not changed my eating habits either. Watching videos like Food Inc. have affected me it gave me a new perspective on food but I haven't done anything to change my eating habits. I don't think we should change our eating habits completely but I believe in eating things in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noelle, it's unfortunate how aware some people can be and still not advocate for change, right? Some of us are sheep, blindly following whatever is being fed to us. I do have to commend you, though, for not complaining about the politics in food. As I've stated before, why complain about something that you don't care to help change (such as VOTING!). I also appreciate the fact that you acknowledge that you won't really do anything about it unless it really affects you or a loved one.

    However, I'd encourage you to care about the food industry, especially the politics involved in it, because it hurts you in so many ways. If the nation continues to eat this way, more of your tax dollars would be given to people dying of obesity and heart strokes in the ER rather than fixing roads (which they still don't do now!). It will affect your children and generations to come. It affects the environment we are living in, the environment that YOU are living in. As privileged American citizens, I believe that it is our duty to help progress our nation and the world forward through the spread of education, awareness, and collectivism. I know you may think you don't have enough power to change the system, but if we all unite and vote, we most certainly can.

    I personally continue to eat horribly, but I'm aware of the politics and am going to do the most that I can to help change this corrupt system.

    What do you say? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree and same as you I haven't changed much, weird how this unit affected all of us.

    ReplyDelete