Sunday, April 3, 2016

My thoughts --> My garden

Over the course of this unit, the way I think about food has changed a lot.  My perspective of the United States food industry has drastically changed also.  The topic of my research paper is about crops so I would say I think about that and the harmful affects more than I do with meat.  My eating habits with meat have not changed at all because my family is big meat eaters. If I chose not to eat it, I would practically have to cook my own dinner every night.  The day Fletcher's daughter came to speak with us I got inspired. I do not what she did or said that inspired me so much but it did. I took all this inspiration and started my own garden with my friend.  I will admit it took a lot of effort and hard work but it's officially done.   We planted our plants and vegetables about three weeks ago and today our cilantro was ready. I brought it home and we ate it for dinner with our carne asada tacos.  I can not wait for many of our other fruits and vegetables to start growing. In our garden we have 6 tomatoe plants, pumpkin, cantaloupe, 2 water melon, 3 cilantro, 2 jalapeño pepper, green pepper, 3 bell pepper, 3 cucumber, 2 zucchini, 2 onions,  and eggplant. This stared off as a little project that grew in to a much larger one.  We have not only put in our time and money but our parents and grandparents as well.
As you can see my awareness of what I eat has changed drastically. I am now trying to grow healthier foods that my family eats a lot of. Not only will it give me food but it will also be a hobby for me to do.  So overall I like it, even though it is a lot of work.  If you guys want me to post pictures of my garden let me know!!!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool Jenna! I want to start my own garden as well but I do not have the space to plant crops because our landlord will get pissed if we do. One of my goals is to start my own garden when I get a house because I want the feeling of accomplishment that comes when you eat your own produce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna I would also like to start my own garden and see where it get me and it would also be really cool to see what I eat I would feel more healthier.

    ReplyDelete