Thursday, November 19, 2015

The Media



A couple days ago, in class, we had to read about the article by Lindy West. We needed to stop and write down the reactions we had on specific paragraphs. The overall feeling of this article was that she had to troll for a living, technically. In the beginning she didn't care for all the hatred she'd get in her inbox because she was used to it. In the beginning this made me somewhat confused because it was like she was asking for it, so I didn't feel pity. But then they involved her father, and that to me was not okay. But she was now on the other side of the field, being this time a victim. She knew this wasn't a joke and that's when I felt bad because I know if that was happening to me I would go off in an instant.
Like we had discussed in class there is a fine line between harassment and actually trolling. To me trolling is almost like creating a debate because people disagree and people are going to agree on the certain subject given, obviously. Harassing is something that shouldn't even happen to begin with on the media, and especially with someone you don't even know. I remember someone had tried to get into my head always trying to get my attention to troll me, but from the beginning I ignored it. I blocked and did everything possible to not get anything from him and that was consecutively everyday, until finally it stopped. I learned that not even on the media you can be safe sometimes, which is why it's always good to be cautious of who you let follow you or friend you because there are some CREEPS that are just plain weird that don't have a life apparently. But yea, that's when to me it also connected to a discussion we had about parents being aware of when your kids can be on the media. Something that was brought up was to have access to their accounts, and allow them be able to have social media only till they reach a certain age. The media will always have trolls and that's something we won't be able to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment