Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Broken Bones From Stones May Hurt But Words Are Forever


Throughout this unit I have learned a lot about trolls.  At first, I had no clue what a troll was.  Of course I have seen trolling but I never knew the technical term for it.  When we wrote down what we think an online troll was I couldn’t have been any more wrong.  When I hear the word troll I think of a creature living under a bridge.  So when it was used in the context of an online troll, I didn’t even know where to start my guessing for it’s meaning.  Eventually, I began to think it was a person who lurked and remained silent.  I even believed that at times I might have been one when I would be creeping on people’s profiles.  I thought they were people who went through their feed and didn’t like or favorite anything.  Basically I thought they were almost like an Internet ghost.  As one can see, I was totally wrong.  Now that I know what trolling is, I find it intriguing yet disgusting.  I do not understand what pleasure people get by causing havoc and putting others down.  I believe it needs to be controlled some way.  How to control it, I am not sure yet, but I do know something needs to be done.  Many times the cyber bulling crosses the line into harassment, which is not okay.  Words do hurt and sometimes they hurt more than stones.  If one physically hurts someone they will most likely heal or the bruise will go away, but if it is mentally that could stay with them forever.  That it why trolling needs to be stopped, words could hurt more and last longer than broken bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment