Thursday, November 19, 2015

Serving As A Good Example

In class we had to answer one of four questions and the question I had dealt with parents monitoring their children's activity on social media. The responses that were given in class from research surprised me because I disagree with what the internet had to say about the idea. The responses included following their children on social media, checking their phone, checking history, etc. However, I think parents should serve as an example of how to behave politely on social media instead of monitoring their activity. Growing up, most children unintentionally develop the philosophy of "monkey see monkey do". If children observe their parents saying bad things or posting rude comments, then their children will think it is o.k. to do that because that is what they see at home. But if parents behave modestly and politely on social media, the children will most likely pick up that attribute because that is what they see. I think children and teens should develop their own understanding of what is good or what is bad to say on social media and, if need be, let them learn if they make a mistake.  

2 comments:

  1. I don't necessarily disagree with what the Internet said about how parents should monitor their children's internet usage. For children they need their limits because even though children do what their parents do, their parents aren't the only ones they watch. They have friends that may influence them on how they talk and respond to situations. Sometimes parents cant help what their children learn from others. So maybe the way of helping them be respectful on the Internet is to watch over them and make sure that they aren't commenting bad things on other peoples pages. For teenagers I don't agree with it unless the the teenager is untrustworthy. But for children definitely because sometimes they are immature and don't really learn from their mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Noelle on that one. Parents aren't the only people their kids are influenced by and they should watch what they're children do on social media to prevent them from doing wrong. When I made my first social media account when I was probably 11 or 12, my mom made me give her my username and passwords. It wasn't a problem and it wasn't because she didn't trust me, she just didn't want me to post or comment things that weren't nice for me to put out there publicly.

    ReplyDelete