Friday, November 20, 2015

The Heart of a Troll

When it comes to the word troll, the first thing that comes to my mind is the people who lost the sense of objective in life. In my opinion, internet trolls are people who bring troubles to others for their amusement. The troll that I’m familiar with is video game trolls. In this blog, I will be expressing my thoughts and feelings based off my experiences from a video game. The last thing I would want when I’m in my ranking promotion game is a troll. The troll would purposely give an advantage to an enemy in order to anger their teammates. As a result, many people would call them names and report them. I myself used to be a part of that angry group of player.

I honestly don’t know how I got over the actions and comments of the trolls. I do know that my perspective changes once I really thought about the reasoning be hide their action. Let’s go back to the beginning. I stated that trolls are people who lost the sense of objective in life. The reason being is that the trolls that I’ve encounter within the past had a very depressing life (majority of them). People who love to troll simply do so because they live a miserable life. They cannot share that pain with anyone in the real world, so trolling other people is just one way that they can enjoy life. I think this is the reason why some of the trolls inflict their pain to other people.

I don’t think anyone wake up in the morning and tell themselves that they’re going to troll someone today. Maybe they are just going through some though time, and they want to share that experience with other people (sharing is caring, right?). I’m not very funny. Anyway, I’ve seen people who started out their game with enthusiasm and positive comments. When they or their teammates started doing bad, their attitude begins to change. The most common phase that I heard people says before they started trolling was “I’m done”. When I think about the phase “I’m done”, I realized that they’ve reached the point which they’ve lost sense of their objective. All they have in their mind is anger.

Every time I encounter that situation, I would accept the fact that we have a higher chance of losing, but instead of getting mad at them, I would feel sorry for them. As a result, they would get confusion because they expect people to ignore them or feed them by arguing back. This is a different way of approaching gaming trolls, and I find it very effective. One time, I said to the troll in my team that I feel sorry for him. After that, we had a little conversation, and he started telling me about his life. He changed from a person who is trying to hurt others to the person who is being hurt. One thing people seem to forget is the fact that internet trolls are human being. They have feeling just like all of us. The reason they troll or harass other people might be more complicated than what we think.

THE END.


Fun Fact: This experience is based off the experience that I had when I play the game called League of Legends. When I was in the lower rank, I often encounter a troll teammate. As I moved up along the rank, I encounter less and less troll. So my conclusion is troll equal trash. If you want to be less of a trash then become less of a troll (result not guaranteed). 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your way of handling the situation. It has crossed my mind many times that trolls most likely usually have something going on in their life or a lot of chaos going on in their mind, or a lack of self-purpose as they may see themselves. For them to spew as much hate as they do or just irrelevant commentary, it has to root from somewhere, right? I keep that in mind as well, but I also lose my understanding and respect for that troll once they've crossed the line. Like I said, I do agree with how you handle trolls. I have done the similar deed of replying with something genuinely nice and telling them i have sympathy for them and hope that one day they just begin to LOVE and spread it. It always works. It silences them and confuses them because it isn't the reaction they expected to get. Once, a troll made a cruel remark toward me and I responded in a loving, sympathetic way and told that person i was praying for them, etc and he actually ended up messaging me and with an apology and saying that he just had a bad day, i understood. He's just as human as I am and he realized what he said was wrong. If only more hateful trolls would just re-think what they're saying and their purpose behind it.

    ReplyDelete