Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Struggle is Real

Genly Ai is a character that is an alien to the planet Gethen. the people,called Gethenians, are completely different than Genly in their customs, traditions, and way of life. This makes it hard for him to understand the way of the people and how the consider themselves. Genly comes from a place where there are males and females, the gethenian people have no genders; however, their anatomy is strangely different in that they can take on either roll of genders. Being as Genly is, a man, it is hard to get in with the people when the see him as a threat or a thing not to socialize with. As Genly has been raised in a certain culture on a different planet It is understandable why he would be challenged to see the gethenians how they see themselves. He's from a different planet, why would he be able to understand that. He is in a planet where they see him as a pervert just because he is a man, just a man.
Based on Genly's traits and mannerisms, he comes from Earth or a similar planet. and I still don't know what to think of these gethenians.So I'm not surprised that he cant see the gethenians as they see themselves

2 comments:

  1. I've never really realized Genly's struggle until you pointed it out. Because it is true, being a man in Gethen is considered to be peverted and freak like. And to us it's so confusing as to why he is looked so down upon just for being his actual self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that if I were put on Gethen and I would have the same struggle Genly has. I am not use to the idea of genderless beings just like him and being labeled a "pervert" wouldn't make it any easier on me. I think adjusting to new cultures and new ways of living would be difficult for many.

    ReplyDelete