Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Left Hand Of Darkness Wave 1

This is hard for Genly because he's a man and is different from the people in Gethen. In Gethen everyone is androgynous unlike Genly Ai. "I craved to be like everybody else (8)". It is nice to stand out from the rest but so much when it's about your looks. Ai believes in his "alienness of my physique" which I think he means by standing out since he is taller, has a specific gender that won't change. Being that he is different, I feel like he gets treated differently by the people in Gethen. No one relates to him and I think he feels lost and is not a big fan of Gethen and probably looks at the people of Gethen weird, just like they're looking/thinking of him. While reading this book, I've been confused but we as people can relate to Genly in many ways. We tend to separate people, places and things. Genly is basically the new kid at school, the odd one out and he is having trouble adjusting to it. Still today females are looked down on for not being "strong" like men and we aren't capable to do what men do, which is wrong because women can be just as strong, but I feel Genly kind of thinks that way about women also so I feel like that relates to us.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. It's very hard for anyone to feel like they belong when they are treated differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you. It's very hard for anyone to feel like they belong when they are treated differently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that Genly's situation can connect with some of our lives. We've all been in that situation where we dont feel like we belong in some place.

    ReplyDelete