Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Alone

        The first idea that pops into my hear about sub-zero weather is layers of clothes. I see people bundled up in blankets inside a house with the heater on or by a fire. I can not picture people taking part in daily activities in sub-zero temperature. I definitely would not be outside playing basketball in negative degree weather, rather I would be forced to stay indoors in order to survive. The concept of being forced indoors reminds me of isolation. By being indoors, people are cut off from the world because everything ceases to exist in freezing weather. This is how I believe the constant cold contributes to the theme of isolation and loneliness in The Left Hand of Darkness. The cold only allows the people to interact with each during the day because it is too cold to be outside during the night. No one can succeed unless they defeat themselves and by that I mean that a person must get past any obstacles they put in front of themselves such as fear, embarrassment, comfort zones, etc. Similarly, one can not live on Gethen unless they are able to withstand the troubles given by the planet. In chapter 7 Ong Tot Oppong ponders, "But I really don't see how anyone could put much stock in victory or glory after he had spent a winter on Winter, and seen the face of the Ice"(97). Ong Tot Oppong knows the weather will take you to a place where you will have to fend for yourself. However, when I think about freezing weather I also think about grouping up with others in order to stay warm from each others body heat. I believe the cold can also promote unity because trying to stay warm by yourself is harder than staying warm with other people. Coming together to survive allows one to break down the barriers of isolation and loneliness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment